When I first started writing on this blog I was so scattered it was almost impossible to focus all of my thoughts down on one topic and stay there. I would be carrying the distractions from my day, around me, or even just the other tabs on my computer. I would have days were I would just sit at my computer for hours not even getting a single sentence written down. I said enough is enough and I had to figure out another way to accomplish things.
I tried several different strategies for effective thinking, but none of them worked better than getting rid of the distractions. If I was trying to think and the phone rang. My concentration was broken. If I tried to write then tabbed over to check my email, then my concentration was broken. Even thinking about things that I had to do or things that happened during the day broke my concentration.
Here Are 7 Sure Fire Ways To Think More Clearly
- Turn off the distraction and let things be. Turn everything off even your cell phone if you can.
- Eliminate any distracting thoughts by simply tuning them out. There will be a time later on for worrying and thinking about things from your day. If you need to think more clearly then now is not the time.
- Relax and breathe deeply and slowly.
- Take care of anything you feel you need to first. Don’t try to focus your attention on something with a major item on your mind. Eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, feed the kids, etc. before trying to sit down and think.
- Be comfortable.
- Tell everyone around you that you that you need your thinking time and not to bother you with anything that isn’t life threatening.
- Focus, Focus, Focus
If you can master the art of clear thinking you can do your best work and solve problems you wouldn’t normally be able to. This is how I can sit down and write at one setting without wasting a ton of my time on unproductive things. Also works great if you have a problem you need to solve. Clear you mind and think right through it. Get it done and move on. Good Luck!