Surviving your boss can be a lot like surviving the apocalypse. There are some horrible bosses out there and if you have one you know it. Bosses fall into several different categories:
- Know It All Bosses – They have already done your job and they did it so much better. (at least that’s what they think)
- Idiot Bosses – They really have no idea what they are doing and you wonder how they even got the job in the first place.
- Lazy Bosses – They can tell you exactly what to do, but never do the job themselves. Usually sit at their desk all day barking orders.
- Missing From Action Bosses – You know who they are and what they expect, but they seem to always be missing when you need them.
Whatever type of terrible boss you have you will have to learn to survive them. The easiest way to do this is by not letting them bother you and doing your job right. So what if they don’t do theirs, do yours and you don’t have anything to worry about. Eventually things will catch up with them and they may lose their position or even their jobs altogether.
Here are some other great tips for dealing with these kinds of bosses:
- Fly Under The Radar – Stay out of their way and let the other guys be the ones they target.
- Tell them what they want to hear just to get some peace and quiet. As long as it doesn’t jeopardize your job tell them to keep up the good work.
- Stay clear of them altogether.
- Know what sets the off and their pet peeves so you can play it smart.
- Change Jobs
My least favorite of the ways to survive the boss is to get another job. If all else fails don’t let them ruin your days. Plan on leaving the job and find one you like. If you have this problem at your new job then it might be time to look internally for a solution. Good Luck!