There are plenty of reasons to love yourself that you may not have ever considered. Despite what some people might tell you, loving yourself is not a selfish endeavor. It is essential to love yourself in order to have a life that is truly fulfilling.
1. Loving yourself motivates you to care for your health and your mind. If you truly appreciate and love yourself, you are more likely to eat healthy food and exercise. You are more likely not to purposely harm yourself if you feel that you are worth more.
2. You will enjoy spending time alone. You deserve to enjoy your own company because it is inevitable that you are going to spend a lot of time with yourself. You deserve to enjoy every second of the time you spend alone. You will be able to recognize all the good qualities you possess and you will become your own best friend rather than dread the quiet times.
3. You will treat other people better. One of the best reasons to love yourself is that you won’t feel envious of others when they experience all the good things that life has to offer. You won’t feel the need to knock them down out of jealousy and you won’t feel good when bad things happen to them. You will be genuinely happy for the people around you.
4. Loving yourself boosts your self-esteem. You will feel great about yourself and won’t care about what other people think. You will have the strength to accept criticism that comes your way because you’ll feel confident. Risks you take will help you learn about yourself and the world around you.
5. When you love yourself, you have more to offer others. Rather than looking to others for acceptance, you will help them because you are a good person. You won’t be another people pleaser because you already accept yourself.
6. You will refuse to bend over backwards for others. When you respect and love yourself, you do not care if others accept you. You have your own personal power and confidence that keeps you from appearing needy and desperate.
7. Your emotions won’t take you for a ride. Stability will discourage you from relying on others for validation. You will feel that you are in control of your emotions and your actions will demonstrate this.
8. Loving yourself means you won’t sabotage your successes. You know what you deserve, and you know that any success you achieve has been earned. Many people find ways to subconsciously hurt themselves, whether it involves love, work or school success.
9. One of the best reasons to love yourself is that you will achieve your goals. Loving yourself gives you the drive and motivation necessary to aim high.
10. Rather than running from your mistakes, you will learn from them. You will not feel ashamed when you make small errors. They will become learning experiences for you.
11. You can really only make one person happy: yourself. You cannot force anybody else to be happy but you can help by starting with yourself.
12. Loving yourself makes it more likely for somebody else to love you. If you are in a relationship, loving yourself will help the other person cement his or her love for you as well because you become a more loving person.
There are many other reasons to love yourself, and they are all good. You should aim to love yourself for any reason you deem fit.